Game of the Week: Boys High 28, Grand Street 20 (Overtime)

Hollis Superville helped lead Boys and Girls High School to a first round playoff victory over Grand Street with a pair of touchdowns. Photo by Rob Abruzzese.

Hollis Superville helped lead Boys and Girls High School to a first round playoff victory over Grand Street with a pair of touchdowns. Photo by Rob Abruzzese.

Boys and Girls High School was trailing Grand Street Campus 14-6 at halftime and it felt like the Kangaroos were trailing 34-6. Players were seemingly already conceding the loss, coaches were yelling at them, coaches were yelling at each other. Things were bad.

“It was very emotional at halftime because I was very upset at the way we were playing,” Boys High coach Clive Harding said. “I know we were a little beat up the week before playing Lincoln, but I knew we were a better team than to be down two touchdowns at halftime. I told my players, ‘there is no more coaching to do, there is no more talking to do, you just have to go out and play’ and they really responded in the second half.”

The Kangaroos certainly did as they scored 14 points in the fourth quarter to send the game to overtime and then dominated the Wolves to advance to the second round of the Public School Athletic League playoffs with a 28-20 win at Boy and Girls Field in East Flatbush on Saturday.

It’s not like they turned it around immediately though. The Grand Street Wolves came out and started the second half with a touchdown on a five-yard run from junior quarterback Justin White to go up 20-6. The Kangaroos continued to be frustrating throughout the entire third quarter.

Suddenly things started to change in the fourth quarter though as senior quarterback Dashawn Brice began airing out the ball more. He found Shameek Brown open for a 16-yard touchdown pass in the very first seconds of the quarter to make it 20-12. That touchdown seemed to have a big effect because Brown was one of the kids sulking the hardest after he dropped a potential touchdown pass in the second quarter, one that was right on his finger tips.

Boys High struck again when senior Hollis Superville had a 10-yard touchdown run with 6:17 left in the game and, even more importantly, Superville carried in the two-point conversion to tie it at 20-20.

The Wolves weren’t quite done though and White, and sophomore running back Rahmel Ashby, showed off why they are two of the best young players in Brooklyn as they slowly but surely marched down field with the thoughts of winning the game.

They nearly did it too. They got all the way down field, nearly 80 yards, and picked up a first and goal situation at the three-yard line. They got even closer too, practically in the end zone, but, with no time left on the clock, White coughed up a fumble at the goal line that ended up costing Grand Street the game.

Heading into overtime Boys High looked like they had already won the game and Grand Street was wearing their crushing disappointment on their faces. That translated onto the football field as Brandon Harding quickly ran in a three-yard touchdown and Rolin Arzu had the two-point conversion to go up 28-20.

“We’ve been through it all, we’ve been up a lot and we’ve been down a lot, but we stuck together and got the win,” Brandon Harding said.

On their final stand, Grand Street gave a valiant effort, but was ultimately stopped at the 11 as Wesley Gibbons and then Izaiah Wright each had sacks to end the game.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *