The Brooklyn Nets are down at Duke University in North Carolina for the start of training camp. The first day sounded like a success. Kevin Garnett has already emerged as a vocal leader and Jason Kidd‘s first day running practice went smoothly. Here are some other notes:
- Following media day, the team flew to North Carolina and had a big team dinner Monday night (link).
- After the dinner the players and coaches had a meeting, but it was run by the players.
- An example of Kevin Garnett getting in someone’s face, he said, “you cheat the drill, you cheat yourself.”
- As Deron Williams deals with his sprained right ankle, he has been limited in practice (link).
- Jason Terry was also limited in practice as he had knee surgery earlier this offseason.
- Nets general manager Billy King declared, “this is the window.” Meaning, the time is now for them to win a championship. In case you hadn’t already realized the team is all in.
- King also said that having a collection of older stars helps the team focus on a singular goal.
A good start. I didn’t know about Terry’s knee surgery, but hopefully that was why he played poorly last year and can now put that behind him. It doesn’t sound like he expects to miss the start of the season.