The high school football season is just beginning and Erasmus Hall started it just like it finished it, by beating Tottenville. They reign supreme, but Lincoln is hot on their heels and Poly Prep is pretty good too. Let’s take a look at the Brooklyn Eagle’s first high school football poll of the year.
1. Erasmus Hall (1-0): The Dutchmen might have the best player in the city in Curtis Samuel, but they showed on Saturday that they’ve got a few other talented players too. Those warning that they might have graduated too many good players might be underestimating the squad replacing them. Next week: @ Boys and Girls.
2. Lincoln (1-0): Probably could have put them no. 1, but, to me, Erasmus should get respect for being city champs. Still, Lincoln beat up on a very good team in Curtis 42-6. Javon Moore threw 166 yards and three touchdowns and Antoine Holloman rushed for 166 yards and three more touchdowns. Next week: vs Sheepshead Bay.
3. Poly Prep (1-0): If you don’t know who Brenden Femiano is you should because he’s one of the best running backs in Brooklyn. Femiano rushed for 89 yards and four touchdowns in Poly’s 42-0 win over Xaverian. Next week: @ Peddie (NJ).
4. Boys and Girls (1-0): We didn’t get to see the Kangaroos in action during week one, but they start with a winning record because their Jefferson forfeited their scheduled game due to a player boycott. Next week: vs Erasmus Hall.
5. New Utrecht (1-0): The Utes are going to be a tough team this year. John F. Kennedy is not an easy team and they took care of them 24-12 with three special teams touchdowns. Next week: vs Canarsie.
6. Fort Hamilton (1-0): Their scrimmage against Poly Prep was a little rough, but a 36-21 victory over Brooklyn Tech is something nice to put on the resume to start the season. Isaiah Washington rushed for 78 yards and three touchdowns. Next week: @ John Adams.
7. Canarsie (1-0): Canarsie doesn’t seem to have one outstanding player, but has a lot of very solid players all over the football field. This weekend’s matchup against New Utrecht will be a good test. Next week: @ New Utrecht.
8. Bishop Ford (1-0): A nice win against St. Peter’s last weekend. Could be a playoff team. Junior quarterback James Esposito had a strong game throwing 10-18 for 152 yards and two touchdowns in Ford’s 26-18 win over St. Peter’s. Dante Aiken also had a nice night rushing for 98 yards. Next week: vs Cardinal Hayes.
9. Brooklyn Tech (0-1): Senior Tristan Brown had a solid first game rushing for 99 yards and junior Lawrence Menyah caught six passes for 121 yards. Giving up six touchdowns to Fort Hamilton is troubling though no matter how athletic Fort Hamilton is. Next week: vs Grand Street Campus.
10. Grand Street Campus (0-1): Grand Street Campus is already on the bubble with a loss to Flushing in week one. But Flushing is a top team in the city and it has a solid defense and some strong receivers. I’m not bumping them out of the top 10 for just one loss. Next week: @ Brooklyn Tech.
On the bubble: Midwood (1-0), Sheepshead Bay (0-1), Jefferson (0-1).